GE Intelligent Platforms GEIP e-Forum

NOTICE: This forum is for users to exchange information about GE Intelligent Platforms products. While it is moderated by GE, each post may not be explicitly answered by GE Intelligent Platforms employees. If your case needs an immediate response, please call 1-800-433-2682.

Go Back   GE Intelligent Platforms e-Forum > Controllers Platforms > Control Platforms Software

Control Platforms Software Software including Proficy (PLC, View and PC) Machine Edition , Proficy Process Systems, Logic Master 90 and VersaPro

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 09:40 AM

BrianF is on a distinguished road
Oh Boy........

Ok guys I have a problem that maybe someone might know a workaround with.

The problem:

1. My coworker did a project in Cimplicity ME and did not back up the project. By backing up the project I mean he did not generate a .swxcf or a .zip file that i can use to restore the project in my software.

2. He did save the project folder directly out of cimplicity which contains all of his files and information needed to run his project. this is taken from the <project name>.dnld folder.

3. I know all the files are contained in this folder because we managed to delete all of the project files in a 15 inch quickpanel with a different project loaded, insert his files from the project we wanted to restore (from a compact flash card), and the project came up on the quick panel and ran fine.

4. When we then tried to upload the project from the quick panel all we go were the files from the original project that was loaded onto the quick panel. Not the project that we were able to get running by just copying the files manualy (via compact flash) over to the quick panel.

What I have tried.

1a. Create an identical project and then copy the folders into the cimplicity project directory.

2a. The procedure mentioned in step 3.

Does anyone have any idea of how i can repackage this files into a format cimplicity will recognize as a project?

Thanks in advance,

Brian Faubion
Old 04-10-2007, 10:20 AM

rkick is on a distinguished road
Maybe someone else will chime in with a better response. Can you get the .ini and .swxcf files from the PC where the project was created? These should be saved automatically. Typically in the location \program files\GE Fanuc\Proficy Machine Edition\secureworx\local\frameworx\{project name}. If you can, these files can be copied into the same folder on another PC and ME wshould recognize them.

If all you have are the files from a Quickpanel load then you most likely do not have the project recovery file. Not sure if it's possible to get it back into ME.

Like I said, maybe someone else will chime in with another answer. Never been in this situation.
CCS Services
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM

I wish

i had that swxcf file. My coworker only saved that directory when he backed up his machine. I understand that end users should not have the ability to take runtime files and repackage them into project files, but you would think that a developer or someone very familiar with the way that cimplicity ME stores project files would be able to repackage what i have back into a working project file.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Community Master

Russ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianF
...you would think that a developer or someone very familiar with the way that cimplicity ME stores project files would be able to repackage what i have back into a working project file.
I would not think this, but I would think that a developer would maintain proper backups.

The software devlopers may be able to do this, but at what cost?
The <project name>.dnld folder files are compiled binaries that the runtime uses and AFAIK are there is no way to re-create the development files from them. Sorry.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Community Master

Russ will become famous soon enough
This is from the GE fanuc KB

Uploading Projects From QuickPanel View/Control

Description
Sometimes, when a user tries to upload a Machine Edition 5.5 project from a QuickPanel View/Control, an error occurs. A window labelled "FrameWorX" appears with the following message: "There was problem copying the temporary project. Consequently the temporary project can not be opened."
When a project is made, you need to enable "Project Recovery" in order to make sure you can upload a project from a QuickPanel unit. What this does is make Machine Edition copy a zip file called FxControl.SwxCF.zip to the QuickPanel View/Control. This zip file is essentially the entire project. This error is happening because when Machine Edition 5.5 attempts to upload a project, it looks for FxControl.SwxCF.zip that is supposed to be in "\Flash Storage\fxBackup" folder. When it doesn't find the fxBackup folder, the error message occurs.
Why doesn't it find this folder? When a user uses the "Copy Project to Flash Card" command, a QuickPanel View/Control with a Windows CE build that is earlier than build 52 does NOT copy the fxBackup folder to the card. When a user takes the card, downloads the project to another QuickPanel View/Control, and then tries to upload the project from the 2nd panel using Machine Edition, it will not find the fxBackup folder - thus the upload will fail.
Resolution
There are two workarounds for this issue
  1. Always use QuickPanel View/Controls with Windows CE build 52 or later.
  2. Make sure to use "Copy Project to Flash Card" command on QuickPanel Views/Controls that have Windows CE build 52 or later. The root of the problem occurs because the "Copy Project to Flash Card" command doesn't copy the fxBackup folder to the flash card in Windows CE builds that are older than 52. However, when a project is downloaded to a QuickPanel View/Control with build 45 from a CFcard, and the fxBackup folder is present in the card, then it does copy it from the card to the QuickPanel View/Control with no problems.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:28 PM

You were correct in your earlier comment about the files in the dnld folder being the compiled project. A very knowledgeable tech at GE explained to me that without the swxcf or .zip file there would be no way to restore the project. The reason Proficy does this is to help protect the developer from downloading his project to the quickpanel that an end user could then use or modify.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments and suggestions. Looks like I will have to rebuild this project from scratch.

Brian Faubion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: