GE Intelligent Platforms GEIP e-Forum

NOTICE: This forum is for users to exchange information about GE Intelligent Platforms products. While it is moderated by GE, each post may not be explicitly answered by GE Intelligent Platforms employees. If your case needs an immediate response, please call 1-800-433-2682.

Go Back   GE Intelligent Platforms e-Forum > Controllers Platforms > Conventional Control Systems

Conventional Control Systems Conventional Control Systems include Series 90-30, Series 90-70, PAC8000, VersaMax Micro and Nano, Versamax Modular, and Durus

Old 01-19-2006, 02:45 PM

rocket1010
USB-serial adapter

has anyone had any luck connecting to 9030 with a usb adapter, i am trying an older Belkin adapter with no luck. Device manager gives the adapter a virtual port com4 with I select in ME5.0, I can connect but cant stop the PLC, download, upload, etc. Makes initail online connection but thats it.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Principal Member

Steve Bailey will become famous soon enough
I haven't used anything from Belkin, but I regularly use a Radio Shack USB/serial converter on a Dell Latitude laptop running XP.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:38 AM

tomalbright
The USB to serial adapters won't work with GE. They are RS-232 only, and GE needs RS-422. You will either have to use a PC with a hardware serial port, or buy a PCMCIA card that provides a fully compatible port. The extra signals are necessary to drive the 232/422 adapter.

That's what I did, and have had no problems since!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Principal Member

Steve Bailey will become famous soon enough
Tomalbright,

I think you may have come to an incorrect conclusion based on whatever experience you may have had in trying to set up a serial/USB adapter.

After reading your post, I took the end of a cable that was connected to a serial port on a PC and connected it to my Radio Shack USB/serial adapter. I was able to go online with the PLC after changing the properties of the target to use the COM port assigned to the USB/serial adapter.

BTW, Rocket1010 has been able to get full functionality. In addition to this site, he posted his question here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=20031
Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 AM

tomalbright
You may be right. My prior serial port failure was with Versapro. I'm using CimplicityME now, and that might be better (might be? hah!). Anyway, I now have a serial PCM card, due to the earlier problems.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:01 AM

hasse
As mentioned earlier on this forum, the best USB - serial adapter for SNP use is HE500USB600 from Horner Electrics.
It even comes with a CD with drivers that also work with LogicMaster 90 and all other ways I have tried communicating via SNP.
The drivers are available from http://www.heapg.com/Support/downloads.htm

--
Hasse
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 AM

tsagert is on a distinguished road
WinXP Pro/USB->232 OK

Using Dell Latitude E6410 with XP Pro. No serial port, using USB to Serial adapter.
Most of us are transitioning to these USB-only Dell models, I am using the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website

I forget for certain the brand name on the box, but the label on the adapter says:

"Model UMC-201RL - Manufacturer Saelig Inc - (585) 385-1750"

Works fine with LM90. No problems at all on most of our 90-30 equipment, except one unit which responds and displays rather slow (which I'll be posting a question about). All of us have the same adapter I do except one person (about 20 of us) and we can all connect fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: