GE Intelligent Platforms GEIP e-Forum

NOTICE: This forum is for users to exchange information about GE Intelligent Platforms products. While it is moderated by GE, each post may not be explicitly answered by GE Intelligent Platforms employees. If your case needs an immediate response, please call 1-800-433-2682.

Go Back   GE Intelligent Platforms e-Forum > Industrial Software > HMI/SCADA - iFIX

HMI/SCADA - iFIX Our second generation of HMI/SCADA technology. More secure, more powerful and more versatile than any other offering. Forum also includes WebSpace discussions.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:19 PM

wangmiao55
iFix3.5 and Windows XP

dear all, i encounter an strange problem.
I install the ifix 3.5 in the PC(DELL's Precision),the OS of PC is windows XP with SP2. after finishing installation, the ifix's startup time is over 30 minutes. so i repeat the same steps on another same configuration PC and everything is OK and ifix startup quickly. and i repeat the same steps on an Poweredge 1800 (Dell's server),and the ifix's startup time is over 30 minutes!
i am confused :1.hardware conduce this problem.
2.software incompatible
or other reason.
who can give me some advice.
thanks a lot!!
( my software's version is English)
Old 07-22-2005, 05:39 AM

r&r
Could it have anything to do with Windows XP's firewall / intrusion settings?
SP2 is quoted as making Windows XP "even more secure" - meaning "even more nosy when it doesn't need to be".
Old 07-22-2005, 08:56 AM

klausdme
This is the solution.

Description
When you install iFIX the installation hangs or takes a very long time, sometimes over 20 minutes. After the install, starting iFIX also takes a very long time. This behavior is most likely due to Windows XP SP2 Data Execution Prevention feature interfering with the Aladdin Hasp hardware key driver.

Resolution
A newer version of the Hasp drivers are available to resolve this issue. To install:

Shutdown iFIX.
Go to http://www.aladdin.com/support/hasp/...r.asp#latestDD and download the HASP_User_Setup.exe. Unzip the file and run the .exe to install the program.

Go to http://www.aladdin.com/support/hasp/...r.asp#latestDD and download the HDD32.exe. Unzip the file and run the .exe to install the program.

Restart iFIX, it should start normally.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:46 PM

wangmiao55
dear klausdme ,

i following your way and have solved the question.
thank you very much!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:58 AM

andreakog
It seems that the problem is only on pc WITHOUT a parallel port... I've never had problems on pc WITH parallel port.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 AM

alper
Happened with parallel key

Hi,

Just mention that I've had the same problem with two new Dell Optiplex Gx520 machines and ProficyLicensing_4_0_1.exe

Thanks to you information I installed http://www.aladdin.com/support/hasp/hasp4/enduser.asp

and solved the problem.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2006, 06:35 PM

ricpeterson
Same Issue with HP

I just purchased a HP nw8240 and had the same issue described above. Installation took a long time and after iFIX 3.5 was installed it took a long time to start up. I suspected it was something with the licensing/key. This laptop also is without a parallel port. After installing the latest HASP drivers the startup delay issue was resolved.
Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 AM

alper
Intellution Licensing

Does anyone know in which Intellution Licensing version is the problem solved?

I know 4.0.1 does not.
What about 4.0.5?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2006, 03:14 PM

ricpeterson
Thumbs up

I installed the 4.0.5 version of licensing, but also followed the instructions above that indicated to install the updated HASP driver directly from the Aladdin web site. I don't recall if I tested the software after installnig 4.0.5 and before the HASP software, but if I did it must not have worked as I did install the HASP software.

I have the feeling that the 4.0.5 software has been out for a while, perhaps before this issue was known. So it would seem that they would have to come out with a new version of the licensing software.

In any case, you're not out anything if you try installing 4.0.5 and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't then install the HASP software. In either case, please report back to this thread with your results.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:05 PM

WBowman
Quote:
Originally posted by ricpeterson
I installed the 4.0.5 version of licensing, but also followed the instructions above that indicated to install the updated HASP driver directly from the Aladdin web site. I don't recall if I tested the software after installnig 4.0.5 and before the HASP software, but if I did it must not have worked as I did install the HASP software.

I have the feeling that the 4.0.5 software has been out for a while, perhaps before this issue was known. So it would seem that they would have to come out with a new version of the licensing software.

In any case, you're not out anything if you try installing 4.0.5 and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't then install the HASP software. In either case, please report back to this thread with your results.
4.0.5 (shipping with iFIX 4.0) is the lastest drivers from HASP.
May I ask which HASP drivers you are updating to?

With 4.0.5 we switched from the HASP drivers (EOLed by Aladdin) to the HL drivers (backwards compatable with HASP keys).

Some of the issues you may have are DEP and the XP SP2 or 2003 SP1 on Dell Machines.

Dell seems to be shipping DEP enabled, and this is incompatable with the HASP drivers (requests are in to fix this to Aladdin). You will notice one of two behaviors.

1) Programs accessing the HASP/HL drivers exit (the DEP execution protection ends the programs in 2003).
2) Extreme response times (XP SP2) as the DEP engine seems to prevent the code from running.

For ifix 4.0, no license check is performed during installation (so this will prevent installation delays if future versions of Windows create additional problems).
Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 PM

ricpeterson
Smile HASP Driver Version

I used the hdd32.exe file from the Aladdin web site. The version shown with that file is 4.99.5.20 with the description of HASP4 Device Drivers.

My understanding of DEP is that it is only enabled on certain processors (Celeron, Xeon, AMD Athlon 64). My system does not use any of these, so should be unaffected by the DEP issue.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 AM

stefanifix
Hello!

I have the same problems, but Iam using a HP xw4300 workstation.

when i want to start ifix 3.5, nothing happens...

i don“t use a aladdin dongle.
who can give me some advice.
thanks a lot!!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:31 AM

alper
Even if you don't have attached the Aladdin key, iFix may be attempting to see if it is attached, hence using the Aladdin driver that is causing the delay problems.

I'd like to know if just installing Profycy Licensing Software version 4.0.5 alone solves the problem. Otherwise, try install the HASP4 driver mentioned in forum post before yours, that has been proven to solve many issues.

Neverthless, I guess that if you jave the non-Aladdin license key attached you should not have had those delay problems. Was that the case?

I'll appreciate you post your findings here
Old 02-02-2006, 03:16 AM

stefanifix
i installed the hasp4 driver and ifix works fine

thanks
Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 AM

alper
Exclamation

Hi all,
I've been able to try again on a new machine.

Again, iFix 3.5 install was paused for more than a minute on a XP sp2 spanish Windows.

Installing ProficyLicensing 4.0.5 DID NOT solve the issue.

Only after installing the HASP driver mentioned on this post the issue was solved.

I hope the newest HASP drivers to be in ProficyLicensing software soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: