GE Intelligent Platforms GEIP e-Forum

NOTICE: This forum is for users to exchange information about GE Intelligent Platforms products. While it is moderated by GE, each post may not be explicitly answered by GE Intelligent Platforms employees. If your case needs an immediate response, please call 1-800-433-2682.

Go Back   GE Intelligent Platforms e-Forum > Industrial Software > HMI/SCADA - CIMPLICITY

HMI/SCADA - CIMPLICITY Provides superior HMI and SCADA functionality and establishes a solid foundation for Collaborative Internet Manufacturing.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM

rshaw49 is on a distinguished road
Server Client Time Synchronization

Any one know how to Sync the time between server and clients with Cimplicity? The clients do not have an internet connection so internet time is not an option. Tried enabling W32 time service on the server which turned out being a problem so ended up disabling it again.

Running Cimplicity vers 7.5 sim11
Server 2003, XP clients.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Community Master

kyordy is on a distinguished road
Look at the operating system time sync available. Look specifically at "Net Time". You can write a script or .cmd file that will sync your nodes.

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Old 09-26-2013, 12:47 PM

bartolim is on a distinguished road
does your server machine have a connection to an external time sync? If so, the clients should be able to access that source as well. If for some reason there is an issuse, you may be able to utilize the server as your time base. We use a freeware (donations accepted) utility called NetTime http://timesynctool.com/ for our synchronization, but we have a GPS receiver on our network that we access to sync all machines. It may help you out as well.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Community Master

He clearly states no internet connection, so synching with the server is probably the best method.

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyordy View Post
He clearly states no internet connection, so synching with the server is probably the best method.
Correct I have no internet connection on the server or clients.
What kind of script or cmd do I write to get net time? Server Client network stuff is not my area of expertise. One of our IT guys is watching this thread and didn't follow what you meant by the net time thing.

The line this system is on is a continuous line so I have to be cautious before I make any changes. Enabling the W32time caused the server to lockup twice. I had to power down both times to get server running again. Scary stuff when your process is still running.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Community Master

Open a command prompt and type "net time help" for more info, but the syntax I've used is
"net time \\computername /set"

Last edited by kyordy; 09-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Community Master

More info:

Syntax

net time [{\\ComputerName | /domain[omainName] | /rtsdomain[omainName]}] [/set]

net time [\\ComputerName] [/querysntp] [/setsntp[:NTPServerList]]

Top of page

Parameters

\\ ComputerName : Specifies the name of a server you want to check or with which you want to synchronize.

/domain [ : DomainName ] : Specifies the domain with which to synchronize clocks.

/rtsdomain [ : DomainName ] : Specifies the domain of the Reliable Time Server with which to synchronize clocks.

/set : Synchronizes the computer's clock with the time on the specified computer or domain.

/querysntp : Displays the name of the Network Time Protocol (NTP) server currently configured for the local computer or the one specified in ComputerName.

/setsntp [ : NTPServerList ] : Specifies a list of NTP time servers to be used by the local computer. The list can contain IP addresses or DNS names, separated by spaces. If you use multiple time servers, you must enclose the list in quotation marks.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM

thank you
Old 01-08-2014, 03:02 AM

Bob Mintus
We've made use of the NTP port that is available from Meinberg. It acts as a client and server and can be used in conjunction with a radio clock or GPS time source if you don't have an Internet connection. It also can adjust the drift of the server to keep it fairly accurate (typically within 10ms or better). The client can also run on any modern OS (I think I've run it on everything from Server 2003 and XP through Server 2012R2, but I've also run it on Windows 2000 and Server 2000). It runs as a service, but there is also a GUI interface available that can also be used to configure it, as well as monitoring time and sending email alerts.

The software is based on the open ntp version 4 source and is fairly stable. It doesn't require a reboot after installation. I generally run it under a limited local account for safety. You can find it at http://www.meinberg.de. The software is a free download, and a updated version seems to come out every couple of years.

In my case, a handful of our servers have internet access and we point them to a number of good NTP pool sites. Then we point our Cimplicity servers at all of these time servers. Finally, we point the clients at the Cimplicity servers.

Just remember to set up an exception for UDP port 123 (NTP) in the windows firewall.

- Bob
Voice: (724) 773-2743
FAX: (724) 773-2655
E-Mail: Robert.Mintus@ATIMetals.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: