GE Intelligent Platforms GEIP e-Forum

NOTICE: This forum is for users to exchange information about GE Intelligent Platforms products. While it is moderated by GE, each post may not be explicitly answered by GE Intelligent Platforms employees. If your case needs an immediate response, please call 1-800-433-2682.

Go Back   GE Intelligent Platforms e-Forum > Controllers Platforms > PACSystems

PACSystems PACSystem Controllers including RXi, RX3i and RX7i controllers

Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 PM

scotts is on a distinguished road
UTC Time Zone Adjustment in RX3I

Is there any way to set the time zone in a RX3I PLC.

I have set up the ETM001 Card to synchronize to a SNTP server on the network.

I have connected to the ETM001 card using station manger and checked that is has correctly connected to the SNTP server.

I have written ladder to call the COMM_REQ with task id 98. To synchronies the ETM001 clock with the PLC TOD Clock.

Every thing works perfectly. The catch is that SNTP is designed to send out the time in UTC and the adjustment is made locally at the device.

So I have a RX3I perfectly in time but is using UTC time which is 8 eight hours behind because the PLC is located in Perth.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Principal Member

Poster
There is not a way to currently offset the time to local time.

Can you give a little information about where you use the time and whether you would be wanting daylight savings time adjustment too ?

Are you programming something in ladder using the clock and need that to line up with folks watches or alarm timestamps or something else.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM

scotts is on a distinguished road
UTC Time Zone Adjustment in RX3I

I was just testing the setup in the office. I have access to ladder code that sets the PLC time from a SCADA system using the local time of the SCADA server. This will work correctly because I am using the time of the local server which is GMT+8.

I was just evaluating the use of SNTP and though that it would be a better solution. Becuase it only requires the setup of a SNTP server, config changes to the PLC network card and the addtion of PLC code.

It all worked correctly. But the only draw back was that the PLC TOD clock is in UTC which is not wanted I really wanted.

Maybe there should be an option to allow for this in the comm_req or a setup option that can be set using Machine Addtion.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 AM

KXcam222 is on a distinguished road
UTC not good enough

This is definitely an issue. I need to time stamp alarms and the best I can do is UTC which no one else understands. Is there any way yet to adjust the PLC time to local. Thanks. Cam.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Community Master

Russ will become famous soon enough
Applied Systems has posted a work around app. for this. Get it from DD269.

Quote:
“PACSystems SNTP Time Synchronization with Adjustment II” is an Me PLC application for PAC controllers which is designed to be inserted into a PAC PLC project with minimal alterations, and provide CPU clock date time synchronization with local time offset, and DST adjustment. The Application builds on that work already published to synchronize a PAC PLC to a broadcast time server (KB12604).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: