GE Intelligent Platforms GEIP e-Forum

NOTICE: This forum is for users to exchange information about GE Intelligent Platforms products. While it is moderated by GE, each post may not be explicitly answered by GE Intelligent Platforms employees. If your case needs an immediate response, please call 1-800-433-2682.

Go Back   GE Intelligent Platforms e-Forum > Industrial Software > HMI/SCADA - iFIX

HMI/SCADA - iFIX Our second generation of HMI/SCADA technology. More secure, more powerful and more versatile than any other offering. Forum also includes WebSpace discussions.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 AM

bpanknin
FIX.INI .vs. SCU

Using iFix 3.5.

In the FIX.ini file there are entries that are at odds with the SCU configuration (eg we use TCP/IP networking, but the FIX.ini file has an entry for dbasrv.exe; and have entry for an alarm printer in the FIX.ini file, but not selected in the SCU). I see that dbasrv.exe is not needed in ifix 3.5 and we don't use a custome database so I am thinking that these extraneous entries in the FIX.ini file need to be deleted.

Is this correct?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Keeper, Arcane Knowledge

jstein is on a distinguished road
No need to edit the INI file...FIX.EXE is smart enough to figure out what you really need to run in most cases.
Unless support has asked you edit the INI file, leave it alone.

Configuration of your node should be done completely through the SCU if possible.

-j.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM

bpanknin
I thought it was smart enough too...

but, I have SCU configured for TCP/IP and yet DBASRV.exe is running.. not right you know (also have this task running on view nodes that are configured same way). I did run a test and removed extraneous tasks rom FIX.INI and saw memory usage drop ~100 mbyte. Interesting. So, I'm not sure that Fix is smart enuf to not use what is in FIX.INI.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Keeper, Arcane Knowledge

jstein is on a distinguished road
Hi Bill:
It sounds like something else is going on. Is DBASRV in the SCU task list by mistake? If the problem is solely DBASRV, then you should talk to support to help figure out why DBASRV is starting. It will NOT start normally in a new iFIX installation. It should NEVER be running on a view node (and will not) - so perhaps someone along the way tinkered with the file...
FIX is smart enough to not start DBASRV, but not if it was overruled along the way...

I think support is your best bet.
It may be worth it to grab a default FIX.INI from factorydefaults.ifd (e.g.) and check to make sure that your FIX.INI is not different.
-j.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: